Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Maya Beiser - Cello Goddess

Maya Beiser has been called the "Cello Godess" and she's also known as the queen of the avant-garde cello. Several years ago in late 2016 I was exploring cello music and in particular solo cello players and of course I came across May Beiser. What really grabbed me about her playing was her interpretations of popular music for the solo cello. Most of the cello players I had been listening to were playing standard classical music but she was different. She was doing that too but also covering Led Zeppelin and Nirvana.

Before I stopped accumulating music for my personal collection I did get two of her albums... TranceClassical from 2016 and Uncovered from 2014. I played both of them a lot. Around that time I was putting together a couple of mega mixes that I called my Evening Series  which were classical music based but explored some quiet New Age music and jazz too that blended together in a comforting mix for early morning or late at night. Maya Beiser's music fit perfectly into the mix.

Later I loved listening to her 2020 album Bowie Cello Symphonic: Blackstar which was consisted of covers of that final David Bowie album. It sounds incredible.

This morning I've been listening to her just released new album that is a collaboration with Philip Glass titled Maya Beiser x Philip Glass. Very moving pieces. I could listen to her music all day and I have.









No comments: