Sunday, February 28, 2021

All The Devils Are Here

All The Devils Are Here by Louise Penny, 2020

Another book I read in about a week in February 2021.

This book was loaned to me by a neighbor after an online discussion of some of the books we had been reading. She and her husband had been recommending some authors to me and this book came up so she dropped it off on my porch. They also recommended the author Adrian McKinty and I recently read the first book in his detective series that takes place in Belfast.

This detective series by Louis Penny usually takes place in Montreal but this particular book was located in Paris and was actually the 18th book in the series. I wasn't sure about jumping into a new series so far along in the character development but although it was obvious there were lots of incidents in his career that were referred to throughout the novel it didn't take away from the story at all. It was very easy to follow along and I very much enjoyed the book.

This book takes place in Paris and coincidently a couple of weeks ago I just finished the first Cara Black novel Murder in the Marais which like all of her detective novels is located Paris. Although the Louise Penny novel takes place in 2020 and the Cara Black novel takes place in 1993 they both are located in the same neighborhood of Paris and share many of the same locales, streets and buildings including one particular hotel. They both also refer to the Jewish neighborhood and both plots address collaborators and resistance fighters during the WWII Nazi occupation of Paris.

I liked the Louise Penny novel and look forward to reading more of her work starting with the first novel in the series.

No comments: