Saturday, February 6, 2021

Dusty Springfield

I was reading an article about Dusty Springfield that came out this week in the New Yorker. It was a interesting analysis of her music and a celebration of a new compilation recently released. It made me want to listen to her music which I did as my first Moring Kitchen Listening of the week and I started with her wonderful album Dusty in Memphis from 1969. I followed that with her 1999 Dusty in London compilation of music recorded in London between 1968 and 1971 that was never released in the US. I finished off the set with the Ultimate Collection that spanned her entire career.

The Dusty in Memphis has always been one of my favorite albums going back to when it was first released in 1969. Every song on this album is a classic and later when I got the expanded CD there were even more songs from the session that sounded great.

The Dusty is London was a CD that came out in 1999 and collected songs that were recorded in London between 1968 and 1971 but never released in America. The album starts off with Take Another Piece of My Heart and never lets up. A nice collection of great songs.

I ended with her Ultimate Collection album which is a 2 CD set that spans her entire career including all of her early hits throughout the 60's right through to her late 80's collaboration with the Pet Shop Boys.  A fun listen.

The New Yorker article Revisiting the Tender Sounds of Dusty Springfield.

  • Dusty in Memphis, 1969
  • Dusty in London 1968-1971, 1999
  • Dusty: Ultimate Collection, 2001




No comments: