Saturday, September 12, 2020

R.I.P Toots

Toots Hibbert died this week. Toots & The Maytals was one of our favorite reggae bands. I had to go upstairs and give Funky Kingston a spin. This album was always near our turntable from 1975 on. He was a reggae pioneer and a peer of Bob Marley. I loved his soulful version of reggae and he had some interesting reggae versions of rock and folk songs. He could certainly get funky.

Later in the day I put on his very best of CD for some kitchen dinner listening.








Toots & The Maytals in my collection:

  • Sweet and Dandy, 1969
  • Funky Kingston, 1973
  • In the Dark, 1974
  • Reggae Got Soul, 1976
  • Live Toots & The Maytals, 1980
  • The Very Best of Toots & The Maytals, 2000
  • Pressure Drop: The Definitive Collection, 2002
  • True Love, 2004
  • Unplugged on Strawberry Hill, 2012


No comments: