Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Joan Armatrading

We were listening to Joan Armatrading singing Love and Affection today and were reminded of the first time we had heard anything by her which was actually in a movie theater. It was in the fall of 1976 and Becky and I went to a movie. I don't remember the movie but I vividly remember that before the movie came on there was a short promotional video on the screen of Joan Armatrading performing Love and Affection which was a song from her upcoming album being promoted. We both loved the song and shortly after seeing that clip I bought the album. This was long before MTV.

It turned out to be a wonderful record that had many amazing songs. Over the next year or so I went back and bought her previous album and then got her new albums over the years as they were released.  I think I have 15 of her albums.

She has many wonderful songs across all of those albums. Some of my other favorite songs include

  • Down To Zero
  • Show Some Emotion
  • Rosie
  • The Weakness In Me
  • Me Myself and I
  • I'm Lucky
  • All The Way From America
  • I Love It When You Call Me Names
And so many more...

The following clip is the promotional video we saw in the movie theater in 1976.


No comments: