Friday, March 3, 2023

Wayne Shorter RIP

Saxophone great Wayne Shorter passed away yesterday at the age of 89. I was looking through my album collection and was impressed with myself on the number of albums I had featuring Wayne Shorter both as a leader and a sideman. 

I only saw him perform twice in all the years I've been enjoying his music. The first time I really didn't know anything about him. I saw him in 1970 when he was with Miles Davis' band on their Bitches Brew tour when they were opening for rock bands. I saw them with the Steve Miller Band and a couple of other groups in Chicago. Then Becky and I would see him again in 1976 with Weather Report at the Tower Theater. The opening act that day was John McLaughlin and Shakti. 

In my collection I have several of his albums and then a lot more where he was part of a group. I have many Art Blakey albums with him playing sax and several Miles Davis  and Herbie Hancock albums. I have most of the Weather Report albums and also a few of the albums he did with Joni Mitchell. Many others too.

I was playing a lot of Wayne Shorter music today on the stereo.

No comments: