Thursday, December 7, 2023

Saturate Before Using - Jackson Browne in Concert

So back in 1973 his first album had often been referred to as Saturate Before Using because of the words on the cover but officially it has always just been Jackson Browne as the title. It was released in 1972 and his second album For Everyman was released around the time I would him see him perform.

In early October 1973 I had just returned from a long deployment in the Caribbean and South America and was visiting family in Philadelphia when a friend suggested we go see some music. John was very excited about seeing this new singer songwriter named Jackson Browne whom I'd never heard of before as I had been overseas for most of the last three years. He was playing at Villanova College and John played his first album in the car for me as we drove out to the campus. I actually had heard a couple of songs before... Rock Me On The Water and Doctor My Eyes but I didn't know anything about the artist. In the show he played the songs from his first album and introduced the music of his new second album which was just released at that time too. It was a great concert and I loved his music. I would buy both of his albums.

There was an opening act by someone I also had not heard of before that night... Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band. Jackson Browne put on a wonderful show but there was no way he could follow Springsteen back in 1973. Probably not many groups could.

John and I would go on and see Bruce Springsteen five more times in 1974 and 1975 but that's another story. 

No comments: