Thursday, December 14, 2023

Rememberings - Sinead O'Connor RIP - Book

Rememberings by Sinead O'Connor, 2021

Reading this memoir didn't occur to me or maybe I should say I didn't know about this book until her recent death this past summer at the age of 56. It took awhile for the libraries to get more copies of her book because of the demand following her untimely death. I put it on hold in my account and it took about three months to get an e-book copy. I read this fascinating book over a three week period. 

When I first started reading this book I struggled with it because of a combination of her writing style an the content of her story. I had know she had problems but I really knew nothing about the struggles of her abused childhood and family situation. It wasn't until much later in the book when she discussed her music career and politics that I read at my usual pace. The book was a rollercoaster ride. Overall I really enjoyed reading this although as I said it was a struggle at times. I especially liked her descriptions of her controversies and in particular her tearing up the picture of the pope on a Saturday Night Live. Much of her life was a protest of one thing or another and she has outraged millions of people but she always stood by her actions. Throughout the book she is extraordinarily candid about herself and her life.

I really do enjoy listening to her music and I have collected a lot of her music over the years.


Sinead O'Connor albums in my collection:

  • The Lion and The Cobra, 1987
  • I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got, 1990
  • Am I Not Your Girl, 1992
  • Universal Mother, 1994
  • Faith and Courage, 2000
  • Sean-Nos Nua, 2002
  • She Who Dwells..., 2003
  • Throw Down Your Arms, 2005
  • Theology, 2007
  • I'm Not Bossy, I'm The Boss, 2014

No comments: