Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Beatlemania

A lot of people have been talking about The Beatles lately. This has been happening mostly because of the new Beatles documentary TV series by Peter Jackson titled Get Back that is currently streaming on the Disney+ channel. The 3 part film has been receiving rave reviews.

Today I had an online chat with a friend about seeing this film which went off into some of my early experiences with The Beatles. He didn't live through Beatlemania and came to the band in the 1980's so his experience and love for the band was much different than me. He was self described as transfixed watching the film.

I haven't seen it yet and have been reluctant to subscribe to Disney but I probably will succumb soon and do a month long trial subscription and watch this film. I would also probably watch a few of the Star Wars shows during that month.

It's hard to believe that the events of the documentary took place about 52 years ago and that first wave of Beatlemania happened back in 1963. I was in seventh grade when the Beatles came to America in a wave of craziness. The girls in our class were all excited and of course I also had an older sister who was a fanatic Beatles fan. Their music was playing in our house all the time. 

Most of the guys I hung out with at that time were into soul music and Motown and maybe the Rolling Stones but certainly not those "cute mop top boys" from Liverpool. That being said there were some really great songs from back in that time. That summer, I like so many other teenagers of the time, went to the movies and saw A Hard Day's Night at our neighborhood theater. The following summer in 1965 we all went to the movies again to see Help!. They were both very entertaining movies.

It was in 1965 that I really started liking the Beatles and buying their records like Rubber Soul which is probably my favorite Beatles album. I would eventually have all of their albums and I would read several books about the group.

Over the years I've written about The Beatles a few times on these pages...

No comments: