Monday, November 8, 2021

All Things Must Pass

There has recently been a special 50th anniversary release of George Harrison's 1970 album All Things Must Pass. The extensive re-release came out in August 2021 and contains 5 CDs/ 8 LPs. I listened to it today on Spotify... all 5 CDs worth which included lots of demos, alternate versions and many tracks that did not make the original album.

I remember the original release of the 3 LP set in 1970 like is was yesterday. I was still at Great Lakes when it came out. It was such a big deal. It was all over the radio and everyone was talking about it. In January of 1971 I went onboard a Navy ship and the cassette version of this and a few other albums to take with me because of course you can't play records on a ship at sea. I listened to it a lot back then and it was one of my favorite albums

When I got out of the Navy and started buying records again one of the first albums I brought home was this 3 LP set. We played it a lot in our house on Seymour Street. In the early 2000's I picked up the deluxe double CD set which I was listening to recently when I saw all the press about the 50th anniversary of the album release. That got me to check out the new version of the album on Spotify. 

I put it on and let it play for the little more than four hours. The demos and expanded tracks were very revealing and I enjoyed it all very much. It was interesting to see what he would do with some of the songs in later productions. 

It was also interesting to see how many great songs he had available for Beatles' albums that Lennon and McCartney refused to let him put on those records. He had originally submitted the title track to be on the Beatles' White Album and it got cut. For what? Revolution #9?

No comments: