Friday, April 30, 2021

Sweet Sweetback

It was 50 years ago this week that Melvin Van Peebles landmark black film Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song from 1971.

I saw this movie right when it was released in a theater in downtown Philadelphia while killing time waiting for a bus back to the naval base in Norfolk. I didn't know anything about it and I was by myself but it was around the corner from the bus station and I had a few hours to wait even after getting something to eat.

It was a sparse afternoon crowd that turned into a party. People were screaming and yelling every time the hero beat up or killed a white cop. I was probably the only white person there and in uniform but it was an amazing film experience especially in that time and place. I really only felt threatened for a moment when I had been sitting very low in my seat during some commotion but I stood up and people saw my Navy uniform and didn't bother me.

The 50th anniversary of the release of this film is getting some attention because of the current Black Lives Matter movement and the things going on between the police and black people. In 1971 this was very intense.

It was also one of the last times I would be wearing a uniform while out on leave or liberty. The Chief of Naval Operations issued an order around this time allowing sailors to wear civilian clothes and keep them in barracks or aboard ships.

Years later I would get the soundtrack album for the film by Earth Wind & Fire.

No comments: