Sunday, April 25, 2021

Random Album Effect - Fanfare

This is the first Random Album Effect session I've had in a while mostly because of the traveling we've been doing the past month or so. This one was triggered by my wanting to listen to Jonathan Wilson's Fanfare album that was releases in 2013. I got a Facebook memories notice about a post I made a year ago featuring this album. I had written about it in the post as one of the most influential albums of the last 20 years in my music listening. So of course I had to listen to it again this evening.

I do love this album and really enjoyed listening to it again. There are many songs on this album I have used on mixes. In particular the songs Dear Friend, Love To Love, Cecil Taylor and Desert Trip are all outstanding and every song on the album works. I also like his Gentle Spirit album from 2007. 

Jonathan Wilson first came to my attention as a producer of Father John Misty and Dawes. I soon learned he was a big part of the current music scene in California. He has a couple of newer albums that have come out in the past couple of years and I've listened to them on Spotify.

Next up in the Random Album Effect was the Brazilian jazz pianist Eliane Elias. Her album Fantasia from 1992 was a very nice follow-up to Wilson. There were a couple of somewhat strange vocal songs among the jazz instrumentals but it was all very nice.

Then came Metric's Fantasies album from 2009. The first song Help I'm Alive jumped out after the jazz piano but in a good way. It's a great song and the best on the album IMHO. The entire album is good and plays very well as nice background music as I sat at the kitchen table working on my laptop.

Then came Cornelius which was a big letdown. So it was somewhat OK as background music but often became annoying. I was wondering how I had this artist on my hard drive and had to look them up. The band or artist is referred to as a Japanese Beck. Lots of electronics and samples. Avant-garde hard beats, floating acoustics, etc.

When that was over then came Goblin which of course is an Italian progressive rock group best known for horror movie soundtracks and in particular Suspiria from 1977. What I had here to listen to was the double disk best of compilation Fantastic Voyage of Goblin from 2007. That was a trip.

  • Jonathan Wilson - Fanfare, 2013
  • Eliane Elias - Fantasia, 1992
  • Metric - Fantasies, 2009
  • Cornelius - Fantasma, 1998
  • Goblin - The Fantastic Voyage of Goblin: The Sweet Sound of Hell, 2007














No comments: