Saturday, April 24, 2021

Last Time I Saw Elvis

An Elvis Cycle mega mix. All things Elvis. Some of my favorite Elvis songs, some live Elvis, Elvis covering songs, songs about Elvis, songs sounding like Elvis, songs mentioning Elvis, Elvis tributes, etc.

I originally made a CD mix with this theme in January 2007 and posted it on Art of the Mix. Here is what I said about the mix at that time...

"The last time I saw Elvis he was shootin' at a color TV". Title of the mix from the opening line of Neil Young's opening song of the mix. Today is Elvis' birthday so I quickly threw this together tonight. Elvis the King... well maybe the King of Pop Culture. I had to put Chuck Berry in this mix if we're talking about rock & roll. Also a couple of my favorite guitar slingers tearing up Blue Suede Shoes. The King (of Pop Culture) had lots of references in lots of songs so I included some here too and let's not forget the allure of Graceland and the road to Memphis. Also a few covers of Elvis associated songs to fill the CD. All in all a nice birthday party.

OK, so since that time I've accumulated a lot more Elvis related songs and I put them here in this playlist which runs for about seven and a half hours on my iTunes. It became a pandemically created mega mix. I migrated it to Spotify and further expanded it somewhat to about 8 hours. It's a fun listen.

I grew up listening to Elvis one way or another. In the mid 1950's when I was a little kid I was constantly exposed to him by my Elvis loving teenage aunt who lived down the street from us and was our babysitter. I remember in 1957 singing the big hit Love Me Tender in school but with the modified lyrics... 'love me tender, love me sweet, take me home and smell my feet" with lots of childish laughs. 

And then came all of those awful movies. It was hard to be a teenager in the early sixties without getting exposed to Elvis movies. Elvis was certainly taking a lot of bad career advice back in those days and was surrounded by a bunch of grifters. In my later teenage years Elvis was a joke except for that brief comeback album period in 1969 with Elvis in Memphis. He also had another brief comeback in 1972 with Burning Love but generally years of schmaltzy crap until his sad and untimely death in 1977. Just a hunk a hunk of burning love.

The mix...  and a link to the Spotify version below.
  1. He Was The King - Neil Young
  2. Good Rockin' Tonight - Elvis Presley
  3. All Shook Up - Elvis Presley
  4. Little Sister - Elvis Presley
  5. Elvis Is Everywhere - Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper
  6. Introduction/Blue Suede Shoes - Link Wray
  7. Blue Suede Shoes - (Live) - Jimi Hendrix
  8. Heartbreaker (At The End Of Lonely Street) - Dread Zeppelin
  9. Viva Las Vegas - Bruce Springsteen
  10. Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
  11. Stuck On You - Elvis Presley
  12. Im Gonna Bid My Blues Goodbye - Million Dollar Quartet
  13. All Shook Up - Jeff Beck
  14. Mystery Train - The Band
  15. Suspicious Minds (Dusk Version) - Pete Yorn
  16. In The Ghetto - Susan Cadogan
  17. Can't Help Falling In Love - UB40
  18. Queen Elvis - Robyn Hitchcock
  19. Elvis Cadillac - Rickie Lee Jones
  20. Elvis Imitators - Steve Goodman
  21. It's Now Or Never - El Vez
  22. Don't Be Cruel - Robert Gordon
  23. Burning Love - Elvis Presley
  24. Steamroller Blues - Elvis Presley
  25. Graceland  - Paul Simon
  26. Memphis In The Meantime - John Hiatt
  27. From Galway To Graceland  - Richard Thompson
  28. Man On The Moon - R.E.M.
  29. I Can See Elvis - The Waterboys
  30. Calling Elvis - Dire Straits
  31. Black Dog - Dread Zeppelin
  32. Elvis Presley Blues - Tom Jones
  33. Walk A Mile In My Shoes (Live) - Elvis Presley
  34. Let It Be Me (Live) - Elvis Presley
  35. Proud Mary (Live) - Elvis Presley
  36. Something (Live) - Elvis Presley
  37. Heartbreak Hotel - John Cale
  38. Elvis On Velvet - The Stray Cats
  39. Happy Birthday Elvis - Loudon Wainwright III
  40. My Baby Left Me - Wanda Jackson
  41. My Boy Elvis - Janis Martin
  42. I Was The One - Elvis Presley
  43. Like A Baby - Elvis Presley
  44. Don't Be Cruel - Elvis Presley
  45. That's Alright Mama - Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash
  46. Elvis And Me - Jimmy Webb & The Jordanaires
  47. Elvis Bought Dora A Cadillac - Wall of Voodoo
  48. I'm No Elvis Presley - Lindi Ortega
  49. Elvis Murphy - Black 47
  50. Elvis Is Dead - Living Colour
  51. Elvis Fucking Christ - The Cramps
  52. Hound Dog - Albert King
  53. I Got A Woman - Elvis Presley
  54. Faded Love - Elvis Presley
  55. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right - Elvis Presley
  56. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Elvis Presley
  57. Always On My Mind - Elvis Presley
  58. Blue Moon Revisited (Song For Elvis) - Cowboy Junkies
  59. A Century of Elvis - Belle and Sebastian
  60. Elvis Presley Blues - Gillian Welch
  61. I Saw Elvis Presley Last Night - Gary Lewis & The Playboys
  62. Can't Help Falling in Love - Chris Isaak
  63. Long Black Limousine - Elvis Presley
  64. In The Ghetto - Elvis Presley
  65. Give Me The Right - Elvis Presley
  66. Bliue Moon - Elvis Presley
  67. Love Me Tender - Caetano Veloso
  68. Don't Be Cruel - Bryan Ferry
  69. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Dwight Yoakam
  70. Jailhouse Rock - Jeff Beck
  71. Hey Memphis - LaVerne Baker
  72. Big Train (From Memphis) - John Fogerty
  73. Graceland - The Lonely Heartstring Band
  74. Elvis Farewell - Million Dollar Quartet
  75. I Was The One (Live) - Elvis Presley
  76. See See Rider (Live) - Elvis Presley
  77. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin (Live) - Elvis Presley
  78. Unchained Melody (Live) - Elvis Presley
  79. Boy From Tupelo - Emmylou Harris
  80. Carl Perkins' Cadillac - Drive-By Truckers
  81. Black & White Elvis - Anton Barbeau
  82. Blue Moon Baby - The Cramps
  83. Maria's The Name - El Vez
  84. (You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care - Elvis Presley
  85. That's All Right - Elvis Presley
  86. Baby Let's Play House - Elvis Presley
  87. (You're The) Devil In Disguise - Elvis Presley
  88. Personal Jesus - Johnny Cash
  89. The King Knows How - Over the Rhine
  90. Elvis Presley & America - U2
  91. Just A Touch - R.E.M.
  92. Kissin' Cousins - The Saints
  93. Back 2 the Base - X
  94. High Lonesome - The Gaslight Anthem
  95. King Rocker - Generation X
  96. Bring It On Home - Dread Zeppelin
  97. Suspicious Minds - Fine Young Cannibals
  98. Only The Strong Survive - Elvis Presley
  99. Kentucky Rain - Elvis Presley
  100. Hey Jude - Elvis Presley
  101. God - John Lennon
  102. Can't Help Falling in Love - Beck
  103. Round Here - Counting Crows
  104. Went To See The Gypsy - Bob Dylan
  105. Johnny Bye-Bye - Bruce Springsteen
  106. Trouble - Elvis Presley
  107. Viva Las Vegas - Elvis Presley
  108. Gonna Get Back Home Somehow - Elvis Presley
  109. Rip It Up - Elvis Presley
  110. Living Loving Maid - Dread Zeppelin
  111. Hound Dog Blues - Jimi Hendrix
  112. Riding With The King - Eric Clapton & B.B. King
  113. Chocolate Cake - Crowded House
  114. The King Is Dead - Jackie Greene
  115. My My, Hey Hey - Neil Young & Crazy Horse
  116. The Only King - the everybodyfields
  117. Free Fallin' - Tom Petty
  118. Jesus Mentioned - Warren Zevon
  119. American Roulette - Robbie Robertson
  120. Return Of The Grievous Angel - Gram Parsons
  121. House Of Cards - Steve Forbert
  122. Hank, Karen and Elvis - Young Fresh Fellows
  123. His Latest Flame/Rusholme Ruffians  - The Smiths
  124. Do The Clam - Elvis Presley
  125. Girls! Girls! Girls! - Elvis Presley
  126. That's My Desire - Million Dollar Quartet
  127. Graceland - Willie Nelson
  128. Love Me Tender - Mick Ronson
  129. Always On My Mind - Loretta Lynn
  130. Are You Lonesome Tonight? - Elvis Presley
  131. For The Good Times - Elvis Presley
  132. I Can't Help Falling In Love - Elvis Presley

On Spotify.


No comments: