Saturday, August 29, 2020

Chicago 1970

In the spring of 1970 I finished basic training in San Diego and after a two week leave to visit family I was sent to the Great Lakes Naval Training Center outside of Chicago to attend two programs. First was a basic Naval ship engineering course and then I went to Machinist Mate A School. This was all part of a program to prepare me for the Navy’s nuclear power program and submarine school that would continue at the Naval Base in New London, Conn. after this program.

My training was interrupted when my father suddenly died of his ruptured brain aneurysm in July. It was not a good thing when the people in your unit tell you that the chaplain is looking for you. After my two week emergency family leave I went back to my classes but I didn’t do well. My heart and soul wasn’t into it and I barely passed the program. They let me drop out of the nuclear program and offered me the option of a family hardship discharge but my mother convinced me to stay in. I did.

Because of the interruption in the program I was off the scheduled deployment and when I finished the courses I did not have orders to my next duty station which was going to be a ship. I waited around for orders for about four months. During the summer and fall of 1970 I was able spend a lot of my free time in Chicago which was a short train ride from the base. I would get a room at the YMCA which catered to sailors and would stay for the weekend. There was a nearby club and concert scene and in particular the Aragon Ballroom. There were also concerts at the nearby Lincoln Park on the waterfront. Went to a few Cubs games at Wrigley Field that was in the neighborhood.

I saw too many concerts to list. One example was a show that included Shocking Blue opening for Pacific Gas & Electric and Country Joe & The Fish. Another show at the Aragon Ballroom with The Guess Who and Creedence Clearwater Revival. I saw Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young performing one of the shows that would make it on to the 4 Way Street live album. Some other bands and artists I saw in Chicago 1970 was Traffic, Poco, Ten Years After, Mott the Hoople, Al Kooper, The Byrds, Spirit, The Doors, Janis Joplin, The Mothers of Invention, Jethro Tull and many more I'm having trouble remembering. Another memorable show was Miles Davis touring the Bitches Brew album along with the Steve Miller Blues Band opening up for Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

I mostly stayed the weekends at the YMCA and occasionally at a cheap hotel farther downtown. There was also a USO nearby and together with the Y they would sponsor activities for the soldiers and sailors coming into town. The Fort Sheridan Army Base was also nearby. When you stayed at the Y they would offer dinner banquets with lots of girls in attendance. It was nice to get the free food on your way out the door for the night but the girls were all Christians looking to convert the wayward military guys. It was like running a gauntlet of false temptation. It was like I was heading for the door to go out and see The Doors which of course I did along with dozens of other bands over that summer and fall.


No comments: