Monday, September 18, 2023

The Heat Will Kill You First

The Heat Will Kill You First: Life and Death on a Scorched Planet by Jeff Goodell, 2023.

This was a fascinating book written by a journalist who has been coving climate change for decades. I got through this very intense and disturbing book in a couple of weeks in September. It wasn't easy but at times I couldn't put it down. Then I would let it sit for a day or so and get right back to it. The climate crises and what we can do about it. First thing would be to get rid of all fossil fuel use in the world. That would be a start. 

The book had an incredible amount of critical science research but is also highly readable. I was not aware of how dangerous and unexpected heat can be to the human body. I liked reading his history of air conditioning around the world but especially in America. The book was very comprehensive and informative on many different levels.

While reading this I kept thinking about our grandchildren and what the world will be like when they are grandparents. I think about what I did or could have done in my lifetime to make the world a better place for them and their grandchildren. Obviously not enough. 

No comments: