Friday, January 20, 2023

Jerry Blavat RIP

I just heard that Jerry Blavat, Philadelphia disc jockey known as The Geator With The Heator, died today at the age of 82. He was a very important music influence during my teenage years growing up in Philadelphia. He specialized in playing "oldies" back in the mid 1960's which means he was playing songs from the 50's and early 60's on his radio show and at his hosting live dance hops around town. He was a Philadelphia icon. He was also know as "The Big Boss with the Hot Sauce". As a teenager I collected most of his oldies compilation albums.

There other DJ's in town on other radio stations playing oldies such as Hy Lit and Joe Niagara who also had oldies compilation albums that I had in my collection. 

I spent many Sunday afternoons while in high school at the Jerry Blavat hosted dances at Wagner's Ballroom on Broad Street. It was actually on Old York Road where it connected with Broad Street near Chew and Olney avenues. I walked over there with friends down Logan street to Lindley and then over to Broad Street or sometimes up Ogontz to Olney. It was always about a 40 minute walk from home.

We did a lot of dancing at Wagner's. Line dancing too. I went to many dances back in the 60's while in high school. In addition to Wagner's we went to dances at both North Catholic and Little Flower high schools and Holy Child parish dances which was also on Broad Street about a half hour walk from home. We would also go to some of the dance clubs down the Jersey Shore.

Over the years I've made several mixes based on the music I heard and danced to at Jerry Blavat's dance hops at Wagner's Ballroom and on his radio shows. I'm listening to one of them now.

No comments: