Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Jeff Beck RIP

I was very sad today to hear of the passing of guitar great Jeff Beck at the age of 78 after a brief illness. I first heard his music when he was briefly with The Yardbirds and played on their brilliant album Roger the Engineer and in particular their great song Over Under Sideways Down

In October 1968 I saw The Jeff Beck Group play at the Electric Factory in downtown Philly. Rod Stewart was his vocalist back then. I had two of his albums from that time period; Truth, Beck-Ola and Rough and Ready. I also loved Donovan's album Barabagal from 1969 which featured the Jeff Beck Group on some of the songs. 

Later in the mid 1970's I would be back into Jeff Beck on his Blow By Blow and Wired albums. Although I liked and saw the Vanilla Fudge perform a couple of times I didn't care too much for the Beck, Bogart & Appice collaboration album from 1975. Much later in the 1990's I would start listening to Jeff Beck again and got his collection Beckology

Jeff Beck albums in my collection.

  • Roger the Engineer - The Yardbirds, 1966
  • Truth - Jeff Beck Group, 1968
  • Beck-Ola - Jeff Beck Group, 1969
  • Rough and Ready - Jeff Beck Group, 1971
  • Blow By Blow, 1975
  • Wired, 1984
  • Guitar Shop, 1989
  • Beckology, 1991, 3 CD box set
  • Who Else, 1999
  • You Had It Coming, 2001
  • Jeff, 2003
  • Live at Ronnie Scott's, 2008
  • Emotion and Commotion, 2010
  • Loud Hailer, 2016

No comments: