Tuesday, May 28, 2024

New Dryer @ Orvilles

Over the past several weeks our clothes dryer has been having a hard time drying our clothes. They've been coming out a little damp. Sometime was wrong that was noticeable but not drastic. Then suddenly a few days ago it was drastic. It just wasn't working. I went down and cleaned out the vent system and the filters. I found a lot of lint in the system and realized I hadn't done any cleaning in quite a long time. Too long. I spent some time trying to fix the problem and got it all cleaned out. I ran the dryer again and there was heat. I did a lot and the clothes were dry... but only that one time. I put in another load and the clothes stayed damp. I tried it a few more times over the Memorial Day holiday weekend. The weather was off and on sunny or rainy. I had some clothes on the backyard line to dry which is something I always do in the summer and I hung the towels and other stuff on the racks in the basement where it took much longer to dry.

I went online and did some research on getting old dryers fixed and to look at info on our dryer in particular. I found that our dryer's model and serial numbers indicted it was from 2002 and we probably got it just a little after that. Definitely over 20 years old. We had considered calling an appliance repair service but that might be expensive. Online resources stated that it was probably not worth getting a dryer repaired if it was over 12 to 15 years old. 

We went over to Orville's, a local appliance store, on this morning which was a day after the holiday. We had looked at their inventory and sales online. They had some good Memorial Day sales and we saw one that looked especially good to us. We only spent about 20 minutes in the store and got the Samsung Dryer that they had on a super special for just under $500. The delivery and installation fee was $79 which included removing the old dryer. The staff was very helpful and informative.

We scheduled the delivery and installation for Thursday of this week.

No comments: