Saturday, April 8, 2023

YouTube Concerts

Over the past several years I've been exploring the world of YouTube concert videos. I initially started out looking at old rock concerts that were mostly just a song or two. Then I discovered the various channels devoted to particular shows or artists where you could do a subscription. I did that with KEXP concerts, PBS Tiny Desk Concerts and others. We also started watching clips from Saturday Night Live, John Oliver and other late night shows. It was also a good place to catch up on some sports clips and the highlights of a particular game I might have been interested in. Most of the time we watched these shows at night before going to bed. Usually about a half hour at a time.

Then a couple of years ago I started putting on classical music and jazz concerts on during the day. It was like discovering a new world. So now I search for a particular artist and browse the results. Over time the system has greatly expanded the selections. I also started looking at folk music concerts too and an occasional rock concert.

It is interesting that there are so many jazz concerts online that were recorded over the past decades in Europe. It seems like there are very few archival footage of concerts recorded in the US. 

Most of the time now during the day I will put on either a jazz concert or a classical music concert and then let it run for a few hours. The system is pretty good with following up one concert with another similar one. Then it keeps them in my account memory for future use.

I always put on concerts that were recorded live at some time but it is also possible to put on music from albums with sound only and maybe just a photo of the record on the screen. I haven't done that yet but it certainly is an option. I have put live concerts on the TV for background music while we had people over. Sometimes folks would sit down and watch a few minutes while snacking on something or the concert would be a conversation starter.

No comments: