Friday, November 11, 2022

A Veterans Benefit

On Veterans Day we remember and honor those who served in the military. Today I was thinking about how important college was to me and not having to pay for it. I attended Temple University 1974 to 1978 and earned a Bachelor's Degree in Communications. 

I was especially fortunate that the state of Pennsylvania offered free tuition to Vietnam Era Veterans who attended a college in the state university system as was Temple in Philadelphia. In addition to these veterans benefits offered by the state I received the regular GI Bill monthly benefit check that I was able to use for books, fees and living expenses since I was already receiving free tuition from the state.

I was also able to get summer jobs working at the Veterans Administration Regional Office where I could walk to work from my house in the nearby neighborhood. I really felt like I was taken care of by our country and used these benefits I received and earned with four years of service in the Navy. I got to see the world and then got a free education. 

No comments: