Monday, October 25, 2021

Vinyl and Me

Today in the New York Times there was an article about the resurgence of vinyl and the struggles of the music industry to keep up with demand. The article describes the manufacturing problems, the old technology and sudden recent increase of people collecting vinyl versions of new album releases. There has also been a recent surge in the demand for re-releases of classic albums. The article was titled Logjams Stall A Vinyl Revival. 

I have been reading a lot of posts and comments recently on some of the music groups on Facebook that are focused on vinyl collecting. There are quite a few of them and I've been members of some for many years and over the past year or so I joined a few more. There is even one specifically for Western New York. However, many of the members get a little crazy about vinyl and I had to drop out of a couple of groups because all they ever talked about was the minutia of collecting vinyl. They care about pressing anomalies and release versions of the cover.

I really don't care about the vinyl. I'm all about the music. I collected music and not the music format. Unlike so many other people populating these FB vinyl groups I do not have any album that I do not want to listen to. I don't care about the rarity of the album or what version or the collectability. I want the music. 

No comments: