Thursday, August 12, 2021

Son Volt - A New Album

A couple of weeks ago Son Volt released a new album Electro Melodier which I listened to for the first time today. It had that classic alt-country sound and wonderful Jay Farrar melodies and harmonies in some great sounding songs. As I was listening to it I gradually realized that this may be the most political album I've ever heard. Well, at least in many years.

The last Son Volt album Union from 2019 had a lot of political songs ranting about trump but this new one has better songs and a wider range of issues and problems to comment on. I had to listen to it again right away once I realized the content of the songs. Everything really sounded wonderful. I'm going to listen to Union again too.

I've been a big fan of Son Volt for many years and Uncle Tupelo before that. I have all of the Son Volt albums in my collection up until I retired and stopped accumulating albums. Of course I listen to the new albums on Spotify.

Son Volt albums in my collection:
  • Trace, 1995
  • Straightaways, 1997
  • Wide Swing Tremolo, 1998
  • Okemah and the Melody of Riot, 2005
  • The Search, 2007
  • American Central Dust, 2009
  • Honky Tonk, 2013
  • Notes of Blue, 2017

No comments: