Monday, July 13, 2020

Navy Ship Fire

It has been shocking for me to see the images of a Navy ship burning alongside a pier in San Diego.  The fire onboard the Amphibious Assault Ship USS Bonhomme Richard LHD-6 has been raging since yesterday morning. The many photos are horrific and fortunately no one was killed but several sailors have been injured. It was also fortunate that most of the crew were not on board over the weekend. The other good thing was that this fire didn't happen while at sea.  

I was stationed for awhile in San Diego and was familiar with the Navy Base and the area. I also served on a ship as part of an Amphibious Assault Force where I spent three of my four years at sea. A fire on board a ship at sea was always a scary thought. During my final year in the Navy my duties included my position as our division Damage Control Petty Officer. Part of my expanded duties also required me to attend Navy Firefighting School at the naval base in Philadelphia. That was an intense experience having to go to the fire, to walk into the flames and learn how to overcome the many kinds of fires possible on a Navy ship. Fortunately I never had to use those skills during my time in the Navy but seeing the story of the Bonhomme Richard sent shivers down my spine even now almost 50 years later.

More on the USS Bonhomme Richard fire in the Navy Times.


No comments: