Friday, July 10, 2020

Cloud Atlas

The What When Book List 1970 - 2020

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, 2004
Read in Nov. 2010

David Mitchell is one of my favorite authors and Cloud Atlas is one of my all time favorite books. I was fascinated with his unusual style and complex structure of this novel with it's interconnected and nested stories within the narrative. The Guardian ranked in 9th in it's 100 best books of the 20th Century.


I recently saw in the New York Times Book Review that he has a new novel coming out. Utopia Avenue is about the birth, rise and demise of a British rock band in the 1960's. It apparently is also about the long family history of one of the band members and refers back to Mitchell's earlier book The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet which I read in 2010. I also read and enjoyed The Bone Clocks and Ghostwritten. So a lot of people have been talking online about David Mitchell and I'm one of them.


I enjoyed the movie too.


His novel Slade House came out in 2015 and how did I miss it. It is available as an e-book from the public library right now and I'm reading it while waiting for the new book to become available.

Update: David Mitchell novels I've read
Cloud Atlas, 2004 - November 2010
Ghostwritten, 1999 - February 2011
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, 2010 - April 2011
The Bone Clocks, 2014 - February 2015
Slade House, 2015 - July 2020

No comments: