Saturday, April 11, 2020

Best of Baroque

Kitchen Listening.

Baroque has always been my favorite form of classical music but my love for it evolved over the years. I had some basics because I took piano lessons as a kid. Classical music always seemed to be around and my mother often played the classical station on the radio. The first album I ever bought that had classical music on it was the 2001 A Space Odyssey in 1968. Later in the mid 70's I was systemically building my classical collection and started with the supermarket bargain bins and then moved on to the good stuff on Deutche Grammaphone. I eventually found the high quality labels that had reasonably priced LPs and then CDs like this one.

This particular Best of Baroque is one of my favorite classical albums. I could play this everyday. Some of these music selections were already favorites like Pachelbel's Canon and Bach's Air On The G String and others like Albinoni's Adagio quickly also became favorites. There are many more on this CD. I am listening to it as I write down these words.

In general I like all the different forms of classical music but I'm particularly drawn to the Baroque. Something about it's simplicity but structured form, melodic yet innovative. I like that it feels simple to us now after all the modern experimentation but at the time it was composed it was radical in itself.

Becky and I have had season tickets to the Buffalo Philharmonic and to the Chamber Music series.

No comments: