Tuesday, April 7, 2020

John Prine RIP

Singer Songwriter John Prine died today from Covid-19 at the age of 72. He was one of my favorite country folk singer and one of the most influential songwriters of his generation. My generation. He was the epitome of Americana. 

I first heard of John Prine in the early 70's through my brother in law Joe who was big fan. He was a regular performer at the Philadelphia Folk Festival where I would see him a couple of times.

He had a couple of later albums where he did duets with a variety of women singers including Iris DeMent, Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris, Trisha Yearwood, Patty Loveless, Alison Krauss, Miranda Lambert and many more . Both were wonderful albums.

John Prine albums in my collection:

  • John Prine, 1971
  • Diamonds in the Rough, 1972
  • Sweet Revenge, 1973
  • Common Sense, 1975
  • Bruised Orange, 1978
  • The Missing Years, 1991
  • Great Days Anthology, 1993
  • In Spite of Ourselves, 1999 (duets)
  • Fair and Square, 2005
  • For Better or Worse, 2016 (duets)

I also had a nice album of his songs covered by a variety of other artists - Broken Hearts & Dirt Windows: The Songs of John Prine, 2010

He will be missed.

No comments: