Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Electric Kool-Aid

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe, 1968

Read in February 1974

One of the first books I read after getting out of the Navy in December 1973. I picked up this paperback. Much of this book was about Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters and I immediately started reading his One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest after finishing this book and which I recently reread. I have a copy of this Tom Wolfe somewhere on a book shelf in the house. I should probably give it another read too.

The book was a fascinating look at the San Francisco hippies of 1967 and the drug culture in particular.

I was fascinated by hippies back in the late 60's when I was a high school teenager although I went to a Catholic boys high school where hair length and shirt and ties were strictly enforced. I liked to hang out on Samson Street in downtown Philly where there were head shops, clubs, cafes and record stores. There were also a couple within walking distance of our house in the neighborhood up on the avenue. One in particular I went to was called Gogon Magog or something like that.
There was a house full of hippies down the street from the corner we hung out on and of course we referred to it as "the hippie house".  They were college age and didn't want us hanging around but it was a place to get some weed.




No comments: