Thursday, June 18, 2020

Merging Blogs

I recently decided to combine my last two blogs into one which I did today. The old G-Sphere Sound Booth was started in 2008 and lasted until 2010. It was mostly used as a repository for mixes I had been making and posting to the Art of the Mix site. The posts were a record of my mixes with listings and also links to Mix Cloud where copies of the combined mp3 file of the mix existed for listening. 

Also somewhere on a portable hard drive I have copies of my earlier blogs and websites. It would be interesting to take a look and mine them for more information but that is way on the back burner for now. Now I'll concentrate on the recent writings and my G-Sphere which BTW was my old Art of the Mix online nickname handle.

When I was turning 60 years old I thought it was a good time to change it up with my blog. I wanted to expand the post beyond just a listing of mixes. So the 60@60 blog began. I started out posting my favorite 60 albums for each year and then went on to post about other things too.

The blog began in 2010 and now it is 2020 and during that time however the blog was still mostly used for listing mixes. Things didn't really change. When I retired at the end of 2016 I began a project of reorganizing and reworking many of my mixes. I was expanding the mixes by combing many of them together into much longer mega mixes which I discussed in other posts here.  2017 and 2018 contained many posts with the listings of those expanded mixes.

There was then a period in 2019 when I didn't post much of anything.

During all the free time of the current stay at home pandemic I had started writing about lots of different things in notebooks. I was also posting a lot on Facebook about albums, books, movies, beer, memories, etc.  I decided to revive the 60@60 blog as a place to keep my writings and to continue my reworking mixes project. I had alway kept most of my FB comments in word documents saved my months and had about three years worth. I reviewed them and began creating back logged posts on the blog to keep them all in one place. I did the same for Instagram where there were many posts about beers and albums... Vinyl Spins. 

Now I was systematically posting lots of old comments and using many of them as starting points for new writings on those subjects. Particularly books and movies.

The latest step was to make backup copies of both blogs and store them on my hard drive and then a program that merged them into the one G-Sphere blog that I re-titled The G-Sphere Sounding Booth which is a play on the music sound booth concept with the sounding off about stuff. I had to do a little editing of the organization of the blog and got rid of a lot of links to other resources that just seemed to add clutter. I also created sub pages to categorize the different types of post for easy access by subject.

Some of the page categories are for mixes, albums, books, politics, memories, movies, travels, beers, gardening, rants, etc.

No comments: