Monday, December 9, 2019

Wibbage

WIBG was my go to radio station as a teenager growing up in Philadelphia throughout the 1960's. The nickname of the radio station was Wibbage. It began playing rock and roll in the late 50's and was the main source of contemporary teen music until WFIL began playing rock and roll in 1966. There were also two R&B and soul stations that I would sometimes play... WDAS and WHAT.

Wibbage was where we all heard the music of the Beatles back in the day. I carried a little transistor radio with me everywhere I went and WIBG was on the dial. Here is more about that old little radio.

I played WFIL a little in the later 60's but I would always turn back to 99 on the dial to Wibbage. I really liked the DJs there too and bought a lot of their oldies collection LPs. I would stick with Wibbage until the FM underground radio stations appeared around 1969. Then it was an all new thing. For me that only lasted a little while and then I was off to the Navy for four years. When I returned the FM stations had evolved into the WMMR stations that we would listen to throughout the 70's along with the two university stations WRTI for jazz and WXPN for almost anything.

WIBG was originally founded as a religious station in the suburbs. The call letters stood for I Believe in God but that didn't last very long. The Philadelphia station went off the air in 1977 but was later revived as an FM oldies station out of South Jersey.

No comments: