Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Turned 60

Well, I've turned 60. Several people had been asking me what I was doing for my birthday since it was such a milestone. I had big parties at 30, 40 and 50 but I really didn't feel like a party. This birthday is different. Yes, it's a milestone but it is also the start of a new experience which is the approaching years of retirement and declining health. Best not to think about that. My health is pretty good right now and my accounts indicate that retirement is probably still a long way off. Oh well.

After a lot of thought and consideration I decided to mark my birthday and entrance into the decade of my 60's with this blog. I've had several previous blogs, personal websites and assorted online social media sites. I shut most everything down and I'm concentrating on this one blog which I'm calling 60@60. I added the Sounding Booth part because that was part of my last blog's title. The 60@60 came about because I decided to put together mixes and various other lists with 60 items. I've always been a great maker of lists and I have lots of resource material to draw from. I've also been a long time maker of mix tapes going back a few decades. I have literally hundreds of mix tapes stored in boxes and many more CD mixes shelved in my third floor music man cave.

So I thought I'd spend the year of 60 putting together various 60@60 lists. Most will be music oriented but there will also be lists of books, movies, etc. I'm also going to be continuing to make my rants and ramblings about politics. I started up this blog several weeks ago and began putting up some lists of 60 favorite albums from various years. This will continue for awhile. I will also be putting up playlists of 60 songs from a particular artist and theme mixes of 60 songs. There will be links to players that will allow you to listen to the mixes. I will also be creating more links and tweaking this site. This is where I'm going to document my experiencing the 60s's again.

I talked about the lists and the rankings in an earlier post here and I posted an intro to this blog here.

2 comments:

gerryboy said...

Hi George. I congratulate you on reaching sixty, my friend! Also, I love to read lists and stuff, so I'm looking forward to your ramblings! Best wishes from Scotland, Gerry McDonald.

Cliff said...

Bonjour George, belated birthday greetings to you. Looks like there'll be much of interest to me round these parts. Joyeux Noel from France.