Sunday, December 11, 2011

60 what?

I said I was going to do mixes with 60 songs as part of my 60@60 theme and I just posted one. So now I'm having second thoughts. I still like the theme of 60@60 but the 60 songs thing is a little unwieldy. I really need to do something efficiently to make it work in my time restraints. Heck, I'm not retired yet.

Putting 60 songs together in a quality mix is very time consuming. I have several of them in various stages right now and I need to get them posted.

Here is the process. I choose the songs and place them in a carefully selected sequence. I move them to a different directory and run them through a program that equalizes the sound volume of the songs which are coming from a wide variety of sources with sometimes drastically different sound quality. I put each song into a sound editor program, blend the songs together and then save the results as an MP3 file. The file is then uploaded to Mixcloud and I fill out an online form with the song titles and artists. It includes a graphic and tags. I also post the mix to Zero to the mixing community and also to this blog. Maybe Facebook too.

So I'm looking for ways to streamline the process and I decided to go back to my standard approximately hour long mixes that I've been doing for years... decades. It's what I've been used to doing and it will still fit into my 60@60 theme. It will be 60 minutes of songs instead of 60 songs. Yeah. That works.

I can still make the larger collections but they will be broken down to parts like I just did with the House Party 1968 mix. Recently I had created these very large playlist on various themes that go on for hours. I can break them up and get them here soon. I will also continue to put together my 60 albums by year lists and I will be doing some single artists mixes too.

I will also be going back to my old blog and grabbing some lists and ramblings to post here. It's the end of the year with lots of those end of the year lists that I love and I'll be making my own and commenting on others. It's also an election year coming up and I'll have a lot to day about that mess. This is going to be fun.

No comments: