Thursday, December 29, 2011

Readings 2011 - Fiction

My favorite fiction book that I read in 2011 was a Nick Hornby novel from 2009. I've read several of his books and always enjoy them. This one was particularly fun and when I scanned my reading list for the year it quickly rose to the top. Last year my favorite novel was Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell so this year I went back and read an earlier novel and also his latest book which made my number 2.  The Passage was my favorite thriller for the year.

Overall I usually don't read a lot of series based on one or group of characters although over the course of several decades I've read a few. However, this year I read a lot more than usual. Last year I read several Philip Kerr books about a Berlin detective/private investigator that takes place in the 1930s to 1950s and I continued reading a couple more this year. They keep getting better and a new one has just been published so I'll have a least one more for next year's list. I also started reading another detective series but this was based in Bangkok. I read all four in the series and I think there has been a little drop off in quality but the characters and locale are very fascinating.

I also read all three books in the Swedish Millennium series. They were great reads but in need of an editor. I also saw all three of the Swedish films and look forward to seeing the Hollywood version although I think it would be very hard to top the original films. I read another Swedish novel, Let Me In, that also had two very good films based on the book but the book was much more intense than either film. A very creepy read.

And then there is the Song of Ice and Fire. I really don't like reading modern fantasy series and especially if they have anything to do with dragons. I read some articles about these books before embarking on the ride. I found that I really enjoyed the story and the characters in this strange world. I went through the first three books very quickly. The fourth book plodded along somewhat and by the time I got to the fifth book I was getting bored. After all the time and effort of getting through these books I started losing interest. I think Martin has lost his way and is just making it up as he goes along. I'm really not in any hurry to pick up another one of those books again although I would like to see the TV series sometime but certainly not enough to get HBO.

  1. Juliet, Naked - Nick Hornby, 2009
  2. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet - David Mitchell, 2010
  3. The Passage - James Cronin, 2010
  4. Field Grey - Philip Kerr, 2010
  5. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson, 2005
  6. Let Me In - John Ajvide Lindovist, 2008
  7. A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin, 1996
  8. Bangkok 8 - John Burdett, 2003
  9. Homer and Langley - E. L. Doctorow, 2009
  10. The One Form The Other - Philip Kerr, 2006
  11. Ghostwritten - David Mitchell, 2000
  12. The Firl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larsson, 2006
  13. The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larsson, 2010
  14. A Quiet Flame - Philip Kerr, 2008
  15. Empty Mile - Matthew Stokoe, 2010
  16. Bangkok Tattoo - John Burdett, 2006
  17. A Clash of Kings - George R. R. Martin, 1998
  18. A Storm of Swords - George R. R. Martin, 2000
  19. Bangkok Haunts - John Burdett, 2008
  20. If The Dead Rise Not - Philip Kerr, 2009
  21. A Feast For Crows - George R. R. Martin, 2005
  22. The Godfather of Katmandu - John Burdett, 2011
  23. A Dance With Dragons - George R. R. Martin, 2011
  24. Zero History - William Gibson, 2010


No comments: