Sunday, August 3, 2008

House Party - 40 Year Old Mix

This is a newly updated mix of an old mix. A forty year old mix.

Forty years old would be summer of 1968. I was a high school kid in Philadelphia and I had my first job making decent money back then working in a machine shop shoveling the hot chips flying off the lathes. Most of my pay went for buying records and going to shows. During that summer I was checking out the West Coast bands playing at the original Electric Factory down on Arch Street, hanging out downtown at the head shops on Samson Street and groovin' at the Be-Ins in Fairmount Park.

I was the guy with all the music. I was an obsessive collector even back then and read everything I could get my hands on to discover new music. I was also getting invited to parties with the understanding that I would bring my records and I would arrive with a box of 45s.


I had playlist of stuff that worked good at these parties but this was not some DJ setup that would evolve later on. There would just be a record player with a changer that would play a stack of singles in the order they were placed on the spindle.




So before mixes were created on mp3 playlist, burned CDs and cassettes there was the carefully selected stack of 7" 45 rpm singles sitting on a record changer. The mix listed here is taken from my collection of 45s from 1968 which I still have. In fact I probably still have every single, album, tape and CD that I have be accumulating for about 45 years now. I've never sold or gotten rid of anything from my collection much to my wife's chagrin.

This mix below is all soul music from the time that I owned on singles. I will post a companion mix of garage rock singles that was also from pre-1968. By that time I was strictly buying albums for rock music and had been for a couple of years.

House party music from my stack of 45s.


1. The Show Stoppers - Ain't Nothin' But A House Party
2. Dyke & The Blazers - Funky Broadway, Pt.1
3. The Soul Survivors - Expressway To Your Heart
4. The Isley Brothers - This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You)
5. The Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love
6. The Dells - There Is
7. Marvin Gaye - I'll Be Doggone
8. The Four Tops - Reach Out (I'll Be There)
9. Martha & The Vandellas - I'm Ready For Love
10. Soul Brothers Six - Some Kind Wonderful
11. Sam & Dave - I Thank You
12. Fantastic Johnny C - Boogaloo Down Broadway
13. Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood
14. The Parliaments - (I Wanna) Testify
15. The Temptations - The Way You Do The Things You Do
16. The Platters - With This Ring
17. The Contours - Just A Little Misunderstanding
18. Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston - It Takes Two
19. Aretha Franklin - Think
20. Jackie Wilson - Higher And Higher
21. Arthur Conley - Sweet Soul Music
22. James Brown - I Got The Feelin'
23. Sly & The Family Stone - Dance To The Music
24. Jr. Walker & The All Stars - Shake And Fingerpop
25. The Capitols - Cool Jerk
26. Gladys Knight & The Pips - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
27. Kim Weston - Helpless
28. The Bar-Kays - Soul Finger


3 comments:

sammyg123 said...

Damn near perfect. What fine taste you had then. Of course some things never change..

emeryg said...

http://www.divshare.com/download/5110516-37a

Kristen said...

Thanks for posting a link to the mix! (I'm vandaleyes on artofthemix.) I'm 100% sure I will enjoy this one. :)