Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hot Buttered Soul - Isaac Hayes

I've been meaning to write something about soul man Isaac Hayes since his recent death. I've always loved his music. Issac Hayes had several high points throughout his career. Many people got to know his music from Shaft in 1971 and then there was his huge resurgence as the Chef character in South Park in the 90s. Then I was a little weirded out with his later scientology thing and stopped listening to anything he had to say. But for me it was the Hot Buttered Soul album in 1969. I grabbed that record based on the title and cover. I was vaguely aware of his name from song writing credits from Sam & Dave singles I owned that he produced for Stax Records in the late 60s such as Soul Man. The House Party 1968 mix I posted recently is an example of some of the soul music I was listening to at the time. Then along comes Isaac Hayes and Hot Buttered Soul. It was an amazing thing to listen to back in 1969. Four songs on one album... ten minutes or more for each song at a time when the three minute soul single was king. Nothing Hayes would do later would have the impact on me of the songs on Hot Buttered Soul. Truly amazing.

Walk On By was a Burt Bacharach song originally a hit by Dionne Warwick.



1 comment:

sammyg123 said...

I bought this album when I was 19. I loved it then, still do, and always will. A great talent who will be sadly missed..