Sunday, February 19, 2023

The Untouchable - John Banville

The Untouchable by John Banville, 1997

I've been enjoying reading the novels of Irish literary author John Banville over the past several years including of course his detective novels under the name Benjamin Black. I've read twelve of his books but there are so many more. I have to keep going.

This book here was not particularly one of my favorite of his novels. It was well written and I enjoyed it but I thought it just moved a little more slowly than the novels of his that I recently read. I think it was probably how he handled the complexity of the Cambridge spy ring that is the heart of this novel and their moral values for betraying their country. The amazing thing about this novel is the true history of the story of these British citizen spies who worked for the Russians for decades. It was a very strange take on academia.

It took me a couple of weeks to read this novel.

No comments: