Sunday, September 11, 2022

The Train

The Train was a Burt Lancaster film directed by John Frankenheimer released in Europe in 1964 and the US in 1965. I saw it in early 65 when it came to the New Lyric movie theater about two blocks from our house in Germantown. I would see this film a few more times over the years. I liked it a lot. 

I started thinking about this movie when it came under discussion on FB the past couple of days. It reminded me how much I enjoyed everything about this movie when I was a kid and later. A World War II drama about the evil Nazis and the brave French Resistance and a train full of artwork looted by the Germans from museums and private art collections heading to Germany. The story is based on an actual attempt by the Germans in 1944 to ship their stolen art to Germany from Paris as they did many other times from conquered countries throughout Europe. 

During the discussion on FB today and last night I was very surprised at how many people commented that they had not seen it.

No comments: