Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Before the Day is Done

Before the Day is Done: The Story of Folk Heritage Records 1968-1975

This is a 3 disc various artists collection of music recorded and released by Folk Heritage Records in England between the years 1968 and 1975. This box set was released nearly a month ago in August. I saw it listed in the weekly All Music recommended New Releases. I look at the list each week when it is posted on Fridays along with a few other new music sources. I searched and found this album in Spotify and marked it to listen in my album collection on their site.

I have quite a few albums in that collection and over the past couple of days I have finally got around to listening to this set of obscure British folk music. I have never heard of any of the artists in this collection but I was greatly impressed by the quality of this music. I listened to the entire album and would put it on again anytime. It was a wonderful 3 hour and 45 minute experience. Most of the music was recorded in a small studio in the Welsh countryside. There were no stars on the label but the quality of the music is stunning.

I've always loved British folk music going back to my teenage years and a friend in the neighborhood who played me old folk records and new ones from Fairport Convention back in 1968. I would see them in concert in 1969. I've also recently been reading the memoir of Richard Thompson so I was primed for hearing this music.

This album is also the 3rd and final chapter in a trilogy of obscure British folk music from independent labels. They are on Spotify and I should listen to them too.

No comments: