Sunday, February 7, 2021

Philadelphia Bulldogs and the Super Bowl

The Philadelphia Bulldogs played for the Continental Football League during the 1965 and 1966 seasons at Temple University stadium. They won the league championship  in 1966 but left the league in 1967. The entire league shut down in 1969.

I went to a couple of Bulldogs games as part of halftime shows by the Uptown String Band including the league championship game against Orlando in December 1966 as part of a Mummers Extravaganza.

This came up because it was Super Bowl Sunday and I was thinking about that game in 1966 that was the only time I had ever been to a professional football championship game which of course it was by accident that I was there with the string band for the halftime show. I'm sure I would have never been there otherwise.

I really wasn't very interested in this year's Super Bowl and had no intention of watching it. Well, I did turn it on for a few minutes near the end and it was as I had expected. A boring game and a Tom Brady lovefest. Probably the only interesting aspect of the game was whether the Chiefs would ever score a touchdown in this blowout. They didn't.

No comments: