Monday, February 22, 2021

Nina Simone

Morning kitchen listening with the high priestess of soul Nina Simone. It's a snowy Monday morning and perfect for spending some time with a group of her wonderful albums as I sit in the kitchen drinking tea and watching the snowfall as I work at me laptop. I could listen to her music all day.

My musical taste have evolved over the years and Nina Simone is an example of someone I knew about but had not explored her work and listened to her albums until much later in my life. I was certainly aware of her status as early as the 60's because I was reading about popular music all the time but somehow I had her categorized as a pop jazz singer. I know some of her popular songs throughout the 70's and beyond but I never got any of her albums until well into the 2010's when I discovered some of the many compilations available. 

Now I have 8 of her albums including 4 multi discs compilation sets. Her music is incredible and I'm sorry I missed her unique sounds for so many years.

  • Nina Simone at Town Hall, 1957
  • High Priestess of Soul, 1967
  • Nina Simone Sings the Blues, 1967
  • The Best of Nina Simone: The Copix Years, 1993
  • The Very Best of Nina Simone: Sugar in My Bowl, 1998
  • Anthology, 2003
  • Remixed and Reimagined, 2006
  • Just Like A Woman: Nina Simone Sings Classic Hits of the 60s, 2007








No comments: