Friday, February 19, 2021

Mix Making History Pt. 1

This is a copy of a series of posts I made in a mix making discussion Facebook group. A Side / B Side

My mix history... pt. 1. I made a few mixtapes in the early 1970's for playing on board a Navy ship. Turntables didn't work well at sea. Later I made a few more in the mid to late 70's while living in a house with a bunch of vets I was in college with at the state university in Philadelphia. We had a lot of parties and the turntable was skipping too much because of all the dancing so I put together some mixtapes. Later throughout the 80's I made lots of mixtapes because I travelled back and forth a lot between Philly and Buffalo and didn't like the radio. I was also working as a DJ in a neighborhood artist hangout dive bar down the street from the state college and often recorded mixtapes of my sets. I also made mixes for parties and weddings. I still have all those mixtapes and also the notebooks for all the mixes. I continued making mixtapes into the mid 90's when I began using a computer and CD-R but that story is in pt. 2.

No comments: