Monday, February 10, 2020

My Seabag

Here is my 50 year old Navy seabag. This was issued to me in February 1970. Every decade or so it pops up somewhere while I'm cleaning up or doing some reorganizing. For the past 20 years it has been sitting on a shelf in the shed/cabana in our backyard high above a lot of garden stuff. Surprisingly it is still in pretty good shape. It's hard to believe I carried everything I owned in that bag for four years.

I also have a plastic bag full of some old uniforms. Mostly dress blues and whites and a hat. It would be nice to have the old work jacket too but I have no idea what happened to that one but then like the other uniforms parts it probably doesn't fit me anymore.

I am sorry I don't have my Navy issued peacoat anymore. It was hanging up in a first floor closet on Seymour Street when it disappeared after a party in 1978. Damn. I was still wearing it at the time and it had my ship patch and petty officer stripes. I miss that coat. 





My name and service number stenciled on the seabag.

No comments: