Wednesday, November 15, 2017

David Bowie - A Life

David Bowie: A Life by Dylan Jones, 2017

I read this through the month of November 2017. Bowie died in December 2016 at the age of 69. His death hit me hard. He was one of the recording artist that consistently produced great music throughout his entire career. I have about 40 of his albums including compilations and live sets.

I loved this book which was more of a oral history in the way the author interviewed so many people from every period of Bowie's life. There were nearly 200 people interviewed for this book. There were people from his childhood, family, lovers, fellow musicians, industry folks, limo drivers, collaborators and rivals. It was an intimate portrait of a great artist. It was also based on personal interviews of Bowie himself with the author over a span of two decades. This was a very insightful documentary of his life. 

Earlier this month I had read a similar oral history of Bob Marley.

No comments: