Thursday, November 16, 2017

Bowie Pinups

Vinyl Spins: Pinups. Bowie's cover album from 1973 and another favorite. 

This is a wonderful covers album full of great songs from the 1960's British Invasion. This was actually the first Bowie album I purchased in early 1974 along with the 1972 reissue of his second album that was retitled Space Oddity. These were part of my record buying spree I made after getting out of the Navy in December 1973 and getting a job in early 1974.  I had a lot of album catching up to do. Later that year I got a more Bowie albums such as Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane. John and I would go see Bowie at the Tower Theater in Philly in July 1974. It was the only time I saw him in concert.

I would often play songs from this album during my bar DJ days and especially his version of the Easybeats song Friday On My Mind.

I always thought it was his wife Angie with him on the cover but I just discovered while reading his new bio that it's Twiggy. It was a common misconception because apparently she was only credited on the inner sleeve of the initial pressings while later albums came with a plain white inner sleeve with no printing. I have an early copy of the album because I found the blue inner sleeve cover photo credit to "Twig the Wonderkid".

And of course Rolling Stone originally gave this album a bad review.

No comments: