Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Record Theatre Stamps

While recently up on the third floor going through a box of "stuff" I came across completely full book of stamps from Record Theatre. Over the years I purchased a very large number of albums from that record store and with each purchase I religiously collected the stamps and added them to the several books I had available at all times. I don't know how I overlooked and didn't cash in this book that I just found and I'm not sure how many years (or decades) this full stamp book sat there. I hadn't gone to Record Theatre in many years and it was a long time before that since I collected any stamps.

A customer got one stamp for each dollar spent at the store. The book held space for 125 stamps. A full stamp book could be redeemed for a $5 credit toward your next purchase. 

I spend a lot of time in the store at Main and Lafayette and also at the one in University Plaza. Going to record stores and browsing the stacks was at one time one of my favorite pastimes. 

Record Theatre opened in 1976 and at one time was the largest independently owned store in America. It expanded quickly but by the mid 90's it was shutting down many of them. The last flagship store closed in 2017.


No comments: