Thursday, May 25, 2023

Tina Turner RIP

While I was playing Dylan music all day yesterday I was saddened to hear that Tina Turner passed away at the age of 83. I had first heard the music of Ike & Tina Turner in the mid to late 60's and the song that stood out for me was River Deep - Mountain High. 

In early 1971 I had just returned from a Caribbean cruise to the Navy base in Norfolk and went out with some shipmates to see Ike & Tina Turner. I hadn't heard very much radio in months and their cover of CCR's Proud Mary had recently been released as a single and was climbing the charts. It was a spectacular show.

I also enjoyed her 80's solo material. 

In my collection of have two Best of Ike & Tina Turner compilation albums and a Best of Tina Turner compilation from her solo years. I do have some other songs by her scattered throughout the collection including her songs with the Rolling Stones on their Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out album and her spectacular contributions to B.E.F album with Let's Stay Together.

No comments: