Thursday, May 11, 2023

May Beer Club

Last night I went to a Beer Club. It has been awhile. I went to one last November and that was the first one I attended at Goodbar since the pandemic. This was only the second time. Like last time I didn't participate in the beer club selections but had used my pre-paid (the I won) pint card to have a couple of low alcohol lagers while socializing with friends. I wrote a post about that November beer club here. Tonight, like then, I didn't use a beer club ticket, didn't have the assortment of beers to taste, didn't have the soup, didn't have the cupcakes and didn't have any tickets in the raffles. I just hung out at our usual table and mostly talked with my old co-workers Lisa and Tom. 

I was also a little disappointed that we had a particularly small turn out at our table and several people I didn't see last time were also not at this session. Oh well. I'm not sure how many more of these I will attend. I'm just not up to drinking a lot of different beers in one big session. I've cut back on a lot of my drinking these past few years and especially more recently. I'm mostly fine with just having one or two beers. Often I will have one regular beer and then an NA. My 70 something body no longer tolerates a lot of drinking. I usually don't feel well the next day and it is not a hang over because I didn't drink very much. It's something different. Something in the beer besides alcohol and it is worse when I mix up different types of beer. I've really moderated my drinking habits these past few years. It also helps that Becky is not drinking much at all because of her gall bladder issues which cleared up nicely after drastically cutting back on what she drank. Now she may have an occasional beer or glass of wine at a restaurant dinner but not very often.

I did have fun seeing old friends and I did enjoy the two beers I had last night. Becky had dropped me off on Elmwood Avenue and I took a Lyft ride home.

No comments: