Saturday, August 20, 2022

TV Sets to the Curb

I've had a couple of our old television sets in storage for many years. I had Sean help me carry them out to our shed. One was upstairs in our bedroom and the other large one was in the living room. They were both big old tube TVs. They've been in the shed for a long time. Recently they were joined by our ten year old flat screen TV that crapped out and was replaced. Now was time to do something about them.

I had always planned to take them down to the city garage for recycling but never got around to it. The city sanitation department is very strict about television disposal and recycling and leaving one on the curb for trash day or heavy pickup will generate a stiff fine for the homeowner. 

Recently I was looking on the city's recycling website and saw that the sanitation department will come to the homes of senior citizens and handicapped persons to remove television sets and take them to the recycling center. All that needed to be done was to call the city's 311 line and make arrangements. Well, we're over 65 so I called the number and was told I would hear from someone to schedule the pickup. Boy, was I happy.

I dragged the three TVs out of the shed and set them just outside the building. I knew it would probably take a some time for them to come by and I put a tarp on the TVs. I thought it would be just be better to have them covered.

A couple of days later I got a call to schedule the pickup. First they wanted to know the day of the week we had trash pickup. I told him they came on Thursdays. Then he scheduled the pickup for a Tuesday and I was to put the TVs on the curb in front of the house. Apparently he wanted to make sure we would not be putting them out on a trash day when we could get fined. He then set the pickup date for August 30. Sometime during that day a truck would come by and take the TVs from our curbside and take them to the recycling center. Fortunately we have a two wheeler cart to easily roll the TVs from the shed in the back out to the curb which I will do on the morning of the 30th and then they will be gone.

No comments: