Friday, August 19, 2022

Another First Sentence

A month ago I wrote a post here about the first sentence in a book that struck me and really made me want to keep reading. I knew it was going to be a good book... which it was. Joe Boyd's White Bicycles. Today I had that experience again.

I started reading Niall Williams' This is Happiness. I was very surprised when the first chapter of the book contained only one sentence. The rest of the page was blank. The sentence was "It had stopped raining". I had to turn the page and keep reading. 

I knew the story took place in a remote village on the west coast of Ireland. I had this book on my To Read list at the BECPL for a couple of years. It came out in 2019.  When we were over at Dick and Iris' apartment last week I was looking at their book shelves and commenting on some of the books. We then had a discussion of some of the books we had been reading recently and Dick brought up this book which he just finished. He loved it and after we talked a little bit about Irish authors and novels he insisted I take it with me and read it. Of course I gladly accepted and today I started reading this fantastic book. 

Looking forward to continuing reading it.

No comments: