Thursday, August 11, 2022

Henry and the Basement

The last time Henry and the rest of the family were in town visiting us he was afraid of going down to our basement. To him it seemed like a spooky out of the way place that was a little bit scary. I told him it was where we did our laundry.

This time was different and of course now he was six years old. I was heading down to the basement with a laundry basket and Henry wanted to come along. He had heard we had a new furnace and he wanted to see it. He was also amazed to see the old refrigerator down there that doesn't work anymore. I told him we had to get rid of it.

I decided to give him a little tour of the basement. First I showed him the shelves where we stored some can goods and jars. He was very fascinated with the idea that we would have food in the basement. From there I showed him the washer and dryer but what really got him excited was the laundry shoot with the basket below it. Then we walked around where I had my exercise bike which he was happy about. We took a look at the furnace and then the pile of boxes that Grammie used for shipping out stuff.

He carefully looked at the other shelves where I stored beer and soda and the other one with lots of very different things like containers of paper plates, party stuff, cleaning things, etc. He then wanted to see my tool room and I showed him my tool box that my father got for me when I was a young teenager. He also liked all the power tools and the paint cans.

Then we went into the other little store room that had a door and he was very excited to see all the stuff on the shelves and in the closets there. I also showed him where the water came into the house and the valve the shut off the water if the pipes or appliances needed to be worked on.

After we saw everything down there he wanted to go through the house and put something down each laundry shoot. He was disappointed that there wasn't one for the third floor.

A couple of days later he wanted Grammie to take him down the basement and then he proceeded to show Becky everything down there and explain all the stuff to her. 

No comments: