Saturday, October 16, 2021

Wissahickon Adventure

On a cloudy Saturday afternoon Henry, Todd and I along with Stella went out on a Wissahickon Adventure while Clara was taking a nap. One of the really nice things about living in the Northwest section of Philadelphia is the easy access to the Wissahickon Valley Park. I grew up spending a lot of time in that park and it is fun to go there with my grandchildren.

From their Mt Airy neighborhood it is a quick walk to the Cresheim Creek area of the park or a five minute drive to the Lincoln Drive entrance which is where we went for our walk in the woods.

We walked along the creek down past the McCallum Street bridge. It was a little tough going and I had Henry while Todd had Stella on a leash. We were enjoying ourselves very much but the weather looked like it might be turning bad. There seemed like some rain in the air and we decided we should be heading back.

We crossed the creek just below the bridge and headed back on a different trail on the other side of the creek. It started raining slightly but we could feel some drops coming through the trees. It was also clouding up more and getting darker in the woods. I was helping Henry getting along the trail and I had to be very careful myself where I was putting my feet. I certainly didn't want to have a fall but I am a nearly 70 year old man making my way along a rough uneven path in the woods with a 5 year old at my side. We made it across some very tricky spots on the trail especially under that McCallum Street bridge.

We crossed the creek again but this time over a foot bridge and then we were back on our original trail heading back to the Lincoln Drive entrance where the car was parked. It was raining although most of the drops were not getting through the trees but it was getting significantly darker. Then we made it up the hill and out of the creek valley where it suddenly started raining hard. We scrambled up the steps and then along the wooded street to the car. We got a little wet but were happy to be in the car and home in five minutes. We had quite the Wissahickon Adventure and enjoyed every moment.




No comments: